We're not accepting submissions for novels right now, but...!
Because we've accepted Kamila Shamsie's challenge to make 2018 "The Year of Publishing Women," we're not only publishing nine novels by seven amazing women authors, but we'd also like to publish short stories by women authors each week, then compile the best ones into an end-of-the-year Best of The Year of Publishing Women anthology. For more details and to submit a short story, click HERE.
For regular submissions, unless we asked you to send us your query, please give us a little time to catch up, and come back to see when we're opening up the mailbox again. Follow us @notapipepub or on Facebook (here) to stay up-to-date regarding our availability. And we highly encourage you to check out the books by our current authors and explain how your novels fits in to the Not a Pipe family of books in your query letter.
Not a Pipe Publishing isn't accepting submissions right now.
When we do, we accept submission via email only. So that we can properly track your submission, please don’t query by snail mail, phone, in person, or through social media including Twitter or the publishers’ Facebook pages.
What we’re looking for:
- Young Adult and Mass Market Genre Fiction (if there's a there's a fantasy or sci-fi twist)
- Fantasy (Got faeries? Witches? Vampires? Elves? We dig it!)
- Science Fiction
- Paranormal (Creepy is cool, but if your horror verges on torture-porn, that's not our thing.)
- Humor (if there's a there's a fantasy or sci-fi twist)
- Romance (if there's a there's a fantasy or sci-fi twist)
- We're particularly interested in under-represented characters
What we’re not looking for:
- Military or spy thrillers (unless there's a fantasy or sci-fi twist)
- Crime novels or detective stories (unless there's a fantasy or sci-fi twist)
- Religion (unless it's fiction about mythological characters)
- Excessive violence
- Anything that promotes racism, religious bigotry, misogyny, or homophobia. (You have the right to your opinions. We have the right to tell you to f--- right off.)
- Erotica (We don't yuck on your yum. Just not our thing.)
- Memoir/autobiography (If you're a big enough deal that people are clamoring for your story, you're too big a deal for us. If you aren't, reflect on that before sending anyone your memoir or autobiography.)
- Non-Fiction (We don't have the fact-checkers or a big enough liability insurance policy.)
- Children's Picture Books (Love 'em. Can't afford to print them.)
- Novellas or short stories (except perhaps in completed novel-length collections)
- Poetry (We love to read it but don't know how to sell it.)
How to submit your email query:
Follow these directions carefully or we'll be irritated before we even get to your writing, and neither of us want that.
Make sure we publish the kind of project you’ve written. (And we do mean written, past tense. We don't option incomplete manuscripts.)
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line, write QUERY and the title of your novel. This is important. If you forget this, yours may get lost.
In the body of the email, include your one page query letter and the first ten pages of your manuscript. We love debut authors, so don't let a short publishing resume slow you down, but do let us know if you have anything published already.
Address the query letter to our submission editor, Paige Gorman.
Please do not add any attachments, including images. Because of virus concerns, any email with an attachment will NOT be opened.
- We DO accept simultaneous submissions. Because we are a small press just starting to expand our offerings, we are not yet able to pay advances, so if you are able to sign on with a larger company who can offer you an advance on your work, go with our blessing and no hard feelings. If you decide to allow us to publish your novel, we will offer assistance with cover, layout, printing, distribution, press, marketing … everything we can to make you successful!